I used to think I had to make every meal on the day until I discovered the art of freezing! Especially with soups and sauces, you can use them interchangeably and voila! you have a fresh and healthy meal too!
I made a huge batch of roasted tomato soup and had it as a soup the first evening with shredded chicken! Protein overload! Next afternoon, I used that same ‘soup’ and turned it into a pasta sauce with whole wheat pasta!
You can do countless meals with this versatile sauce, I am even thinking of baking chicken with it as a healthier version of chicken parm…hmmmm!
Not only is this recipe useful, tomatoes are packed with nutrients! They are known to support heart health, bone health and has anti-cancer benefits while being backed with anti-oxidants! Tomato-containing diets have also been linked in a few studies with reduced risk of obesity. Convinced?
So, this recipe should yield about 4 cups of soup but honestly it depends on how soupy you want it!
Roasted tomato and garlic soup with poached/stir fried chicken!
Here we go:
Ingredients: 6 tomatoes, 12 plum tomatoes, 12 vine tomatoes
1/2 cup of celery
1/2 cup of white onions
1 whole garlic to roast and 2/3 cloves chopped
1/2 cup kidney beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp brown sugar
2 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place half the tomatoes and whole garlic cut through the middle in a roasting pan with a tablespoon of olive oil and salt. Roast till blackened and roasted. Depending in size of tomatoes.
2. Steam the remaining tomatoes and place into blender to purée.
3. Take roasted tomatoes and roasted garlic and purée them together and mix with purée from step 2. Set aside.
4. Take the juices from the roasting tray and blend together with basil leaves. Mix this to the tomato purée.
5. Sauté chopped celery, onions and garlic with olive oil until softened. Add salt and pepper to taste and chili flakes for heat (optional).
6. Add in the tomato and basil mixture into the sautéed mixture. Add in the water and let this simmer under low heat.
7. Add the cinnamon, sugar and kidney beans and stir occasionally until desired consistency is reached.
8. I didn’t do this as I like a hearty soup, you can choose to mash the veggies and put the soup through a sieve for a smooth consistency.
9. To make the chicken: Poach chicken breast in water and salt. Shred the chicken and stir fry in a non stick pan with cilantro for flavor.
So this afternoon, I turned this soup into a delicious pasta dish. I wish I had some mushrooms in hand; there’s next time!
1. Sauté any protein/veg of your choice. I would use mushrooms!
2. Add in a cup and half of leftover tomato soup to the sauté.
3. Add in 3 tbsp of starchy water from the pasta.
4. Simmer till warm and add in the pasta!
Its simple, low calorie and you know every single ingredient in your meal! No excuses to buy store bought pasta sauce anymore!!
One thought on “Simply simple: Roasted tomato and garlic soup in many ways!”
This is so versatile!! It’s a great way to bottle up summer and freeze away too. Love the pasta dish and all the veggies 🙂